When it comes to protecting your valuables from thieves, your home and your car are your biggest assets. Although jewelry and electronics are usually the most sought after items during burglaries, the copper coils and the other types of wiring/piping around your home could also attract thieves because of how easy they are to steal.
Unfortunately for residents in Columbus, Georgia, this theft problem isn’t going away anytime soon.
Where Do Thieves Look to Find Copper Coils and Other Wiring/Piping – Your HVAC System
When it comes to stealing, thieves take action when they notice an opportunity in which the reward is high and the risk is low. Here’s what a common thief looks for when scouting a home or an area out for his or her next heist.
- Copper coils found in HVAC systems and refrigerators
- Copper flashing and other metal components found in the gutters or on the roof
- All types of wires found in vacant or occupied homes and buildings
- Pipes found in indoor or outdoor electrical or heating systems
- New wiring and piping found in construction areas of a home or a building
How to Protect Your Air Conditioner and Heat Pump From Thieves
The most common vulnerability that you have to theft is your ground-mounted HVAC unit that stands outside of your home. Considering that the copper’s trade-in value can be up to a fifth of an HVAC system’s total value, protecting it from thieves is worth the investment. Here are a few tips to help prevent someone from stealing your HVAC unit.
- Improve the lighting around your HVAC system
- Install video surveillance cameras around your HVAC system
- Put up a unit fence or cage. Pre-fab cages are available that allow your unit to draw the air that is required for your system’s proper operation.
For more information about protecting your heat pump, check out these five heating habits that are good for it or contact us at 706-561-6718.